Do you want to go steady? Good - we've always wanted to date a doctor!
The United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry (SDG Counties) will pay five qualifying medical professionals $5,000 each to sign employment contracts within the SDG Counties region. In order to be eligible, candidates must be licensed medical professionals qualified to work as physicians, physician assistants, nurses or nurse practitioners.
Applications must be submitted through the 'apply here' link above with all required fields completed, and must include proof of employment with a medical institution located within SDG Counties. We will consider any contracts signed within SDG Counties after the contest launch on Jan. 24, 2024. Monies will be issued to eligible applicants on a first-come, first-served basis. Monies will be distributed at 50 per cent upon selection and 50 per cent following six months of employment.
An additional grant of $5,000 is available for a physician who commits to working within the Township of Russell. Similar terms apply.
Applications must be submitted through the form below with all required fields and must include proof of employment with a medical institution located within SDG Counties. We will consider any contracts signed within SDG Counties after the contest launch on Jan. 24, 2024. Monies will be issued to eligible applicants on a first-come, first-served basis. Monies will be distributed at 50 per cent upon selection and 50 per cent following six months of employment.
We require applicants be qualified to practice medicine within Ontario as a physician, physicians assistant, nurse or nurse practitioner. They must work within SDG Counties for at least six continuous months to be eligible for the full $5,000 payment. For applicants applying for the $5,000 physician grant to work in the Township of Russell, they must work within Russell for at least six continuous months to be eligible for the full $5,000 payment.
Program opens Jan. 24, 2024. There are five, $5,000 signing grants available for eligible candidates in SDG Counties and one $5,000 signing grant available for physicians interested in working in the Township of Russell. Grants are available on a first-come, first-served basis for eligible candidates.
Participation is open only to persons that are:
- Legal residents of Canada.
- Able to work within the required fields within SDG Counties or the Township of Russell
- Must not be currently working in the required employment fields within the United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry, or the City of Cornwall or Akwesasne as of January 24, 2024.
- Monies will be provided directly to eligible candidates selected to receive these grants. Half of the monies will be provided upon signing of contracts within the area and completion of required paperwork. The other half of the funds will be distributed after six months of employment within the region.
- Taxes may apply to the bursary.
Canada Student Loan forgiveness
Medical students can apply for loan forgiveness while they are in study. Individuals can also apply if they are in repayment or in their six month non-repayment period.
To be eligible for Canada Student Loan forgiveness individuals must:
- Have started their employment as a medical professional (full-time, part-time or casual) in an eligible community, on or after July 1, 2011
- Have been employed for a full year and provided in-person services for a minimum of 400 hours in an eligible community (does not apply to residents in family medicine)
- Have a Canada Student Loan that is in good standing
Note: If you are repaying your loan, you must continue to make your regular monthly payments.
Eligible medical professionals
- Family doctor
- Family medicine resident in training with an accredited medical school in Canada
- Registered nurse
- Registered psychiatric nurse
- Registered practical nurse
- Licensed practical nurse, or
- Nurse practitioner
Eligible under-served rural or remote communities
An under-served rural or remote community is one located outside of:
- Metropolitan areas
- Areas with an urban core population of 50 000 or more, and
- Provincial capitals
Verify if a community is designated by using our postal code lookup tool.
Note: You can work in multiple rural or remote communities during the year. You must however, complete at least 400 hours total of in-person service over the 12-month period. As long as you continue to work in an eligible rural or remote community, you may work for multiple employers.