Geographic Information System (GIS)
Transportation & Planning Services delivers Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and related mapping for County staff, local municipalities, 9-1-1 responders, various organizations and the general public.
What is GIS?
GIS allows you to create, update, analyze and model mapping data on the computer. The power of GIS lies in mapped data being linked to related database information for query and analysis. GIS is used by an infinite number of disciplines. In a municipal setting, GIS is used to create and maintain data such as civic addresses, roads, land parcels, water and sewer features, zoning, and more. For example: maps and data can be used to evaluate a proposed plan of subdivision to be built or to find the best location for a new school based on population projections and other variables.
SDG began their GIS program in 2001. Today the GIS Section provides service to all County departments, and the local municipalities in SDG. SDG also provides data and mapping services to 9-1-1 responders, consultants, local Conservation Authorities, special interest groups, as well as Provincial Government programs (e.g. Success by Six, Land Information Ontario (LIO) and public requests). SDG has also been involved in multi-partner projects, such as obtaining high-quality orthophotos for Eastern Ontario through DRAPE (Digital Raster Acquisition Project – East) in 2008 and in 2014.
GIS Working Group
The GIS section heads a local GIS Working Group, which involves the six local municipalities, South Nation Conservation, Raisin Region Conservation Authority, The City of Cornwall and other groups interested in collaboration. The purpose of this group is to provide an open forum for discussion on GIS data requirements, procedures and projects. Cooperation between members reduces duplication of data collection and helps define data requirements.
GIS Maps & Services
GIS maps can be downloaded in PDF format or purchased through Transportation & Planning Services. GIS custom mapping services are also available.
SDGExplorer - Terms of On-line Service
This section applies to the SDGExplorer Community Mapping Applications.
Acceptance. By using the SDG on-line mapping site you agree to the following terms and conditions (the "Terms and Conditions"). The terms "You" and "User" as used herein refers to the person or company accessing the site.
Grant of Licence. SDG ("Licensor") hereby grants to You a non-exclusive, non-transferrable [perpetual] licence to view and print a single copy of the material on the SDG on-line mapping site (the "Site Products") solely for User's personal, non-commercial use.
Licence Restrictions. Unless otherwise specified User may not copy, modify, distribute, transmit, display, reproduce, publish, license, create derivative works from, link to or frame in another website, use on any other website, transfer or sell the Site Products in whole or in part either voluntarily or by operation of law. The foregoing prohibition expressly includes, but is not limited to, the practice of screen scraping, database scraping or any such practice or activity; the purpose of which is to obtain data or portions thereof, portions of databases from the Site, in any manner or any quantities not expressly authorized hereunder.
Maintenance of Data. User hereby acknowledges that Licensor and its suppliers are not required to provide any updates, fixes, new versions, new releases, maintenance and/or support of any kind for the Site Products to Users.
Ownership. User acknowledges that:
- The Site Products contain technical information and commercial information and copyright, trade secret rights and other intellectual property and proprietary rights reside in the Site Products;
- Licensor, and its suppliers, hold copyright and other intellectual and proprietary rights in the Site Products and all right, title and interest in and to the Site Products and all modifications thereto will at all times be vested in and remain the property of Licensor and its suppliers;
- No ownership rights in and to the Site Products are transferred to User;
- Licensor hereby reserves all copyright, trade secret, and other intellectual property and proprietary rights not expressly granted hereunder; and
- disclosure of the Site Products by User would significantly prejudice the competitive position in the marketplace of Licensor or its suppliers or interfere significantly with other contractual negotiations of Licensor or its Suppliers.
No Warranties/Limitation Of Liability. Licensor and its suppliers makes no warranties with respect to the Site Products, and User acknowledges the Site Products are provided on an "as is" and "as available" basis, without any warranties, representations or conditions, express or implied including warranties, representations or conditions of merchantable quality, fitness for a particular purpose or non-infringement of third party rights, or those arising by law or by usage of trade or course of dealing. The entire risk as to the results and performance of the Site Products is assumed by User. LICENSOR AND ITS SUPPLIERS, AGENTS, EMPLOYEES, AND REPRESENTATIVES SHALL NOT HAVE ANY LIABILITY TO USER OR ANY OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY FOR ANY LOSS OF REVENUE OR PROFIT OR SAVINGS, LOST OR DAMAGED DATA, OR OTHER COMMERCIAL OR ECONOMIC LOSS OR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, EVEN IF LICENSOR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, OR FOR CLAIMS BY A THIRD PARTY AGAINST USER. NOTWITHSTANDING ANYTHING ELSE IN THIS AGREEMENT, THE MAXIMUM AGGREGATE LIABILITY OF LICENSOR AND ITS SUPPLIERS TO THE USER OR ANY OTHER PARTY FOR ANY CAUSE WHATSOEVER RELATED TO THE SITE PRODUCTS SHALL NOT EXCEED THE AMOUNT OF THE FEES PAID BY USER, IF ANY, IN THE TWELVE MONTHS PRECEDING THE DATE OF ANY CLAIM, AND IF NO LICENCE FEES HAVE BEEN PAID, $1. THIS SECTION SHALL APPLY WHETHER OR NOT THE LIABILITY RESULTS FROM A BREACH OF A TERM OR CONDITION, OR A FUNDAMENTAL BREACH OF THIS AGREEMENT. THIS SECTION SHALL SURVIVE THE TERMINATION OR EXPIRY OF THIS AGREEMENT.
Assignment. User may not assign this Agreement or any of its rights and obligations hereunder without the prior written consent of Licensor.
Termination. This Agreement, and any licence granted hereunder shall terminate immediately in the event that:
- User is in default of a material obligation under this Agreement;
- User breaches any of its obligations or covenants hereunder with respect to confidential information, or infringes any copyright, trade secret or other intellectual property or proprietary rights in the Site Products; or
- any applicable law, regulation, decision, order or government policy restricts or precludes the collection, use or disclosure of the Site Products or any part thereof by Licensor, or the use of or access to the Site Products or part thereof by User. On termination of this Agreement, User shall cease using the licensed Site Products and, at the request of Licensor, shall destroy any copy of the Site Products in its possession and certify that the licensed Site Products have been purged from all of User's computer systems, and all hardcopy materials produced from the licensed Site Products have been destroyed.